Wednesday, October 2, 2019

IWSG: To Read or Not To Read

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is a website media business with affiliates to enhance our service to visitors. We are a home for writers in all stages; from unpublished to bestsellers. Our goal is to offer assistance and guidance. We want to help writers overcome their insecurities, and by offering encouragement we are creating a community of support. Visit IWSG to learn more about this great writing community!
  

IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month. It's a great writer's resource that I'm sure you'll find well worth your time. Be sure to stop by and visit with other IWSG Members.  And join me in thanking this month's awesome co-hosts:
 Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Mary Aalgaard, Madeline Mora-Summonte, and Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor!

IWSG Question: It's been said that the benefits of becoming a writer who does not read is that all your ideas are new and original. Everything you do is an extension of yourself, instead of a mixture of you and another author. On the other hand, how can you expect other people to want your writing, if you don't enjoy reading? What are your thoughts?


There are writers who don't read??  Really?  Wow.  I can't imagine not reading.  I know people, including writers, are different, but for me reading is like a light at the end of a long, dark tunnel illuminating my world.  It opens me up to new possibilities and helps me keep a handle on what's working for other writers as well as for readers.  I don't read to imitate, but rather to learn and grow and expand my horizons and writing knowledge.  I read for pleasure, escape, and the pure joyous wonder of discovering a fantastic new world of characters and plots and settings.  Reading is as much a part of me as food and air and . . . writing.  I read because I love it.  I write for the same reason.  I can't imagine a world without either.

How about you?  Are you a writer who reads . . . or not?






7 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Great post, Sandra. YES! Pure joy. There's nothing like a great turn of phrase or a character you'd run away with in a heartbeat. I wish I had more time between pages other than my own but when I find it, it's wonderful escape.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Absolutely. Reading and writing go hand in hand. One inspires the other.
Happy IWSG Day!
Mary at Play off the Page

Sandra Hoover said...

Speaking of characters I'd run away with Nancy - MAX tops the list!!

Sandra Hoover said...

I agree, Mary! Thanks for being a co-host this month~

P.J. MacLayne said...

I agree. I can't imagine authors not reading.

Liza said...

Seems that the universal response to this month's question is similar to yours. I can't imagine a writer who doesn't read.

Sandra Hoover said...

So apparently the vote is in . . . Everyone should be a reader!