Wednesday, June 5, 2019

IWSG: A Smorgasbord of Genres . . .

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is a website media business with affiliates to enhance our service to visitors. We are a home for writers in all stages; from unpublished to bestsellers. Our goal is to offer assistance and guidance. We want to help writers overcome their insecurities, and by offering encouragement we are creating a community of support. Visit IWSG to learn more about this great writing community!
  

IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month. It's a great writer's resource that I'm sure you'll find well worth your time. Be sure to stop by and visit with other IWSG Members.

Join me in thanking June's awesome Co-Hosts:  Diane Burton,  Kim Lajevardi,  Sylvia Ney, Sarah Foster,  Jennifer Hawes, & Madeline Mora-Summonte

IWSG Question of the month:  Of all the genres you read and write, which is your favorite to write in and why?

Oh my!  I really don't like picking favorites.  I mean when it comes to picking favorite books/genres/authors, it's kind of like picking a favorite child, right?  It's almost impossible to choose just one!  I'm such an avid reader and fan of many genres of fiction and when it comes to picking a book to read, I'm all about variety, baby!  Serve up a smorgasbord of genres, and I'll dive in guided by my current mood.  Do I need a good laugh?  In the mood for a cozy mystery?  Looking for a big, bad vampire or shifter or prince to save me?  Need to escape in a fantasy world?  Or maybe the comfort of a feel-good happy ever after romance is just what the doctor ordered.  Variety is the spice of life, especially when it comes to books.  I'll be so bold as to say there are few genres that I haven't read and enjoyed.  Having said that, I'll admit to a certain partiality to the mystery, suspense, psychological thriller genre/s and can say that over time, they have become my most often go-to genre for both reading and writing.  I'll take a good suspense story any day of the week - with or without a side of romance or paranormal or set in the future or the past . . . any way you want to serve it up, I'll read it.

When it comes to writing, I haven't experimented with nearly as many genres.  I've dipped my toes in the romance and paranormal genres with what I consider mixed results.  I'm currently writing a romance suspense thriller which is where I believe my head, heart, and hopefully talent reside when it comes to writing.  Building the mystery and suspense, dropping enough clues to move readers forward without force feeding them too much information, being graphic without being too graphic, weaving romance and relationship development into the storyline - it all excites me and it feels like . . . home.  Yeah, I think I've found my writing home.  We'll see.

How about you?  Do you have a favorite genre you prefer to read and/or write in? 

10 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

LOL, Sandra, I hear you. I love 'em all! When writing in one genre, I need to read in another for relaxation, but, like you, it's all about the suspense, teasing the reader (and my own imagination)from page one to page end. You'll get there and I'll be the first to One Click!

Sadira Stone said...

Hi, Sandra.
Romantic suspense is very popular these days. When you finish your story, will you consider entering the Daphne du Maurier competition for romantic suspense? I finaled last year with a cozy mystery/romance (as yet unpublished because the first book in the series needs work). The feedback I got was very helpful.

Sandra Hoover said...

Good point about reading in a different genre from which you're currently writing. Makes sense! Thanks, Nancy, for continuing to offer encouragement to writers both new & old!

Sandra Hoover said...

Hi Sadira,
Thanks for the heads up on the Daphne du Maurier competition and congrats for being a finalist this past year! It's something I'll definitely strive for! Have a great week!

Sarah Foster said...

I do like to read most genres, but when it comes to writing, it's more like two or three at most.

Sandra Hoover said...

Same here, Sarah. I'll read almost anything, but only write in 3 genres in general. Thanks for stopping by!

kimlajevardi.com said...

That's wonderful that you've found your writing home. I hope the story is wildly successful! Great post!

Sandra Hoover said...

Thanks Kim! I'm feeling good about it! Thanks for co-hosting this month!

Michelle Nebel said...

My favorite to write is women's fiction. I like your description of the challenge and fun of your genre - building the suspense, weaving in the romantic elements - you make it sound fascinating. (The hallmark of a good writer!)

Sandra Hoover said...

Thank you, Michelle! I believe you should love what you do...and I do! lol I'm also a fan of many books/authors falling under the genre called Women's Fiction. Have a great week!