Monday, May 13, 2019

The First Mistake Review


Title:  The First Mistake
Author:  Sandie Jones
Genre:  Suspense Thriller
Release Date:  June 11, 2019
Publisher:  Minotaur Books
Purchase Link:  Amazon

My Rating:  5 Highly-Addictive Hearts


*With many thanks to the publisher for an arc of this book via Netgalley

From Sandie Jones, the author of the Reese Witherspoon x Hello Sunshine Book Club Pick and USA Today Bestseller The Other Woman, comes an addictively readable new domestic suspense about a wife, her husband, and the woman who is supposedly her best friend.
Synopsis:
THE WIFE: For Alice, life has never been better. With her second husband, she has a successful business, two children, and a beautiful house.
HER HUSBAND: Alice knows that life could have been different if her first husband had lived, but Nathan’s arrival into her life gave her back the happiness she craved.
HER BEST FRIEND: When Alice met Beth, her best friend, it was the icing on the cake. A friend without judgement, to celebrate with, commiserate with, Beth is the most trustworthy and loyal person that Alice knows. So when Nathan starts disappearing for stretches of time, Alice turns to Beth. But soon, she begins to wonder whether her trust has been misplaced…
Review:
From the moment I read the first page until the moment I read the last (3 times over!), The First Mistake held me captive.  Real life ceased to exist as my heart rate picked up, my stomach got that funny kind of impending doom feeling, and I'm pretty sure I held my breath until this twisted story ended.  And then, I sat there stunned - book in hand, staring at the final words . . . thinking "what the h*ll just happened"?!  I'll say it right now . . . Carve out enough time to read this book beginning to end in one sitting because once you start, there's no going back.

Alice is a content, wealthy businesswoman, mother, and wife.  Life is good . . . until suddenly it isn't.  Nathan rode into Alice's life three months after she lost her first husband Tom.  She'd been lost in the depths of her grief and despair, and he pulled her up out of the darkness into the light once again.  No one need know she still depends on a couple of anti-depressants to get through her day.  It's normal with all she's been through, right?  Nathan is a charmer with a killer smile - a loving husband and father who works by Alice's side in the successful design firm she and Tom started.  Alice, Nathan, and the two children are the picture perfect family.  Rounding out Alice's inner circle is her best friend and confidante Beth.  Their daughters are playmates and when Alice makes a couple of disturbing discoveries that give her cause to question her marriage, Beth is the one she turns to for advice.  As this story plays out, dark revelations pile up, one after another, threatening to destroy life as Alice knows it.  With her heart, gut, and the evidence pointing in different directions, Alice has to figure out who's telling the truth and who's lying.  That's all I can say about the story without spoilers, and trust me folks, you do not want to read any spoilers before diving into this masterpiece of suspense.

A sinister yet mesmerizing story, The First Mistake is highly addictive - simply impossible to put down.  I ignored the phone, doorbell, my husband, and even the dog as I frantically burned through the pages of this book.  My "need to know" level was off the chart, and I can say it's one of very few books I've read lately where I wasn't even close to 100% certain of the outcome by the end.  And oh that ending!  How I wish I could talk about the shocking ending, but of course I can't.  Some will love it and some won't, but I think it's brilliant!  The author sets a menacing tone within the first few pages and then elevates it and the pace throughout as she masterfully manipulates characters and readers - withholding the final piece of the puzzle until the very end.  Through strong, real-to-life characters, Jones delivers a relatable plotline that could mirror the life of any average citizen, making it that much more believable and terrifying.  Beautifully written and delivered, The First Mistake is one I'll be thinking about for some time to come.  An absolutely riveting "Are you kidding me?!" Must Read Suspense Thriller!

My Rating:  5 Highly Addictive Hearts . . . And that's the truth!

Cross My Heart . . . xxx
Sandra



No comments: