Wednesday, January 2, 2019

IWSG: Those Pesky Questions . . .

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is a website media business with affiliates to enhance our service to visitors. We are a home for writers in all stages; from unpublished to bestsellers. Our goal is to offer assistance and guidance. We want to help writers overcome their insecurities, and by offering encouragement we are creating a community of support. Visit IWSG to learn more about this great writing community!  

IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month. It's a great writer's resource that I'm sure you'll find well worth your time. Be sure to stop by and visit with other IWSG Members.  


Join me in thanking our awesome January Co-Hosts: Patricia Lynne, Lisa  Buie-Collard,  Kim Lajevardi, and Fundy Blue

Happy New Year Y'all!  I hope 2019 proves to be your year! 

IWSG Day Question: What are your favorite and least favorite questions people ask you about your writing?

First, I'll say that getting any question at all is mostly a good thing!  It means someone is taking notice - so "favorite/least favorite" - either way, questions aren't something to be shunned.  I compare them to less than flattering vs. glowing reviews - while we all could bask in the glory of 5 star reviews, any review counts when it comes to boosting author ranking on sites like Amazon.  Simply put, if people are reading and talking about your books, it's a good thing!  While my dear ole mother always said, "If you can't say something good, don't say anything at all", that's not entirely true in this situation (sorry mama).  Yes, some questions can be annoying, but I go with the flow and thank the powers that be people are at the very least recognizing the fact that I'm a writer.  They may not understand it or attach much importance to it, but they associate me + writing so I count that as a plus!  It's up to me to own and elevate my position by producing my best work in my own time. 


Still, everyone has a favorite or least favorite question, right?  Here are mine:

Least Favorite Question - Are you done yet?  Is it finished yet?  Do "we" have a book yet?  "We"??  Sigh.  If I had a dollar for every time I've been asked that question, I'd be rich.  Well, not really but you know what I mean.  It's like that one pesky fly at a summer picnic . . . I just want to swat it/them.  Family and friends mean well, they really do, but they don't always understand the time, process, heart and soul invested in writing a book.  And as magical as it can be to read a book, you can't wave a magic wand, say "Abracadabra",  and produce your own written book.  But, remembering what mama said, I smile and give the standard answer "not yet".  For me, the downside to this question is its potential to make me doubt myself when I once again answer "not yet".  But then . . . that's on me.  One day soon, my answer will change.

Favorite Question:  Other than a few articles, I'm unpublished.  Not having a book out yet, I don't field as many questions about my writing as many published authors do, I'm sure.  I do have acquaintances who respect the importance of my writing to me, and they often ask me how it's going (not to be confused with "are you done yet?").  Their inquiry opens a beneficial discussion about characters, scenes, or plot lines I'm pursuing, and that's encouraging.  I welcome those questions and discussions.

What are your favorite and least favorite questions about your writing?


2 comments:

Lisa said...

You have such an open mind about the questions! I don't like being asked, "How's the writing going?" I like, "Where do you find your ideas? How do you make it all the way to the end?" I like specifics that I can actually answer and feel good about! Happy new year!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good point about reviews. Good, bad, or average, they add up to readers.