Wednesday, March 7, 2018

IWSG: Celebrating the Small Stuff!

Like most people, I celebrate big events in my life and the lives of family and friends - birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, but the small achievements (like personal writing goals) tend to pass right by unacknowledged and uncelebrated.  While I agree every individual goal is important no matter how small, I've never thought of them as anything worthy of celebration . . .  until receiving March's IWSG question:  How do you celebrate when you achieve a writing goal or finish a story?  Huh.  Never given it much thought before, but I will now.

Like most writers, I have several writing goals - things like consistent daily writing time or really nailing that hard-to-grasp character or completing another chapter.  And, like any writer, I enjoy a deep sense of satisfaction upon accomplishing any one of them.  But I can't recall ever really stopping to celebrate those achievements as they occur. Who has the time?

I think part of the issue for me is the absence of anyone in my immediate family or circle of friends who honestly understands what my writing means to me. They're here for me for life's big events, but haven't a clue what drives me to continue pursuing writing. Oh, I get the normal questions: How's the writing going? Is your book finished? Are you published yet? So, yeah . . . Love them to death, but not celebrating writing goals with them. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't be toasting my own success, right?  Hey!  The small stuff is important too.  Why not celebrate?  A glass of wine, a stolen evening curled up on the couch with a good book, a mini-shopping spree . . . or maybe just a fist pump and hell yeah!  Go Me!  Something I'll definitely be thinking about in the future as I continue this madness called writing!  Cheers!

Do you take time to
celebrate the small stuff in a special way?




The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a community of writers who share ideas and encourage each other. It's a great place to express doubts and concerns as well as offer and receive tribulations and guidance from other writers. IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month. I know you'll find it to be a great writer's resource that's well worth your time. Be sure to stop by and visit with some of the other IWSG writers/bloggers at IWSG Members.



Many thanks to March's IWSG Co-Hosts!  Mary Aalgaard, Bish Denham, Jennifer Hawes, Diane Burton, & Gwen Gardner!

6 comments:

Diane Burton said...

We need to celebrate the small achievements because the big ones are too far apart. Good luck.

Sandra Hoover said...

So true, Diane! I'd just never given it much thought, but I will now. Thanks for co-hosting this month!

Jennifer Hawes said...

Seriously, who has time to celebrate?? But it sure is fun when we do.

Sandra Hoover said...

I agree, Jennifer! And I think just silent acknowledgement of making a goal is okay. Maybe a short coffee break! Thanks for co-hosting this month.

Kalpana said...

I got what you said about nobody in your immediate circle really understanding what your writing means to you. It resonated with me and made me feel so much better about the reactions I get. Glad to have found your blog.

Sandra Hoover said...

It makes it a little harder when no one in a writer's immediate circle has a true understanding of what drives us to write. But that's okay. We'll continue to do it anyway! And reach out to others who are driven by the same madness! lol Happy you stopped by, Kalpanaa!