Wednesday, January 3, 2018

IWSG: What's The Plan?

Happy New Year Everyone!  January 3, 2018!  Can you believe it?  The new year always feels like a time for new beginnings and second chances.  A time when everything's fresh, and anything is possible!  It's a time for making resolutions and promises and vowing to stick with a plan or schedule.

Writing tops my 2018 Must-Do List.  How I plan to schedule that leads to this month's IWSG question:  What steps have you taken to put a schedule in place for your writing and publishing?  

First off, no resolutions for me this year.  I'm not setting myself up for disappointment in a couple of weeks or months when I've fallen off the bandwagon once again.  Yeah, a quick reality check reminds me I'm probably not going to stick to a strict diet or exercise plan, but I'm taking steps that I hope lead to a healthier lifestyle. 

I am committing to a more diligent writing schedule by blocking off time on my calendar on a consistent basis (with just a little wiggle room).  It means reiterating to family members that I'm not available during those blocks of time for anything less than a catastrophe involving fire, blood, or zombies ( and no, "I'm starving" doesn't constitute a catastrophe).  It means slaying the giant time-eater called "social media" to save myself from being sucked down that bottomless rabbit hole yet again only to wake up hours later wondering where the time went!  It means making writing a real priority and treating it like a job.  Not the dirty four-letter-word kind of job many grudgingly head to each morning, but rather the dream job that will move me forward on my journey to publication.  It means admitting that it's all up to one person - ME!


So, I know it's time to put up or shut up!  No more procrastination.  No more excuses.  No more wasting precious time.  It's now or never for me.  Like most everyone, my schedule is full, but if I trim the "fat", I'll find plenty of opportunities to write.  Let the fun and scheduling begin!

How about you?  What steps have you taken to put a schedule in place for your writing and publishing? 


The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a community of writers who share ideas and encourage other writers. It's a great place to express doubts and concerns as well as offer and receive tribulations and guidance from other writers. IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month. I think you'll find it to be a great writer's resource that's well worth your time. Be sure to stop by and visit with some of the other IWSG writers/bloggers at IWSG Members.


Join me in thanking this month's awesome co-hosts:  Tyrean Martinson, The Cynical Sailor, Megan Morgan, Rachna Chhabria, and Jennifer Lane.







14 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

Yep! Sounds like me. Just steady on the course and don't look back too many times.

Sally Bend said...

I don't find scheduling writing time really works for me, but scheduling projects, with hard release date deadlines, makes all the difference. I write best under pressure.

The Cynical Sailor said...

I like what Sally said above. I work best under pressure. Telling people that I would have a manuscript ready for beta readers by a certain date meant that it happened. I'm definitely a last-minute type of writer. All the best for the New Year and carving out time for your writing.

Sandra Hoover said...

Slow & steady wins the race, right? I feel like 2018 is my year to finally publish a book! Gotta make it happen!

Sandra Hoover said...

Scheduling projects is a great idea, Sally. I've found it hard to stick to a writing schedule in the past. I'm trying to make it a priority in 2018. I can write articles, blog posts, etc., under pressure, but I need to find a way to get this book finished.

Sandra Hoover said...

Pressure can be a powerful motivator! I, too, can crank out work under pressure. But, on the other hand, I've allowed interruptions & procrastination to totally blow my writing schedule out of the water. It's something I must change this year.

Sadira Stone said...

Oh yeah--social media is a time-frying dragon that lures you in with sparkly, magical eyes and then...Poof! My morning is gone! Wishing you clarity and peace in 2018, and lots of writing time!

Sandra Hoover said...

Social media is a dragon I must slay in 2018. I only plan to be on for a few minutes and hours later, I awaken. lol Wishing you peace this year also. And lots of productive writing time.

Chrys Fey said...

Blocking off writing time is great practice. I also plan to write more this year. I hope we both get many words down in 2018!

Happy New Year!!!

Sandra Hoover said...

We can do it, Chrys! I just have to stop getting side-tracked & stay on-course. You're doing a great job! You've really turned things around. Kudos!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Go get 'em! And I hate to be the person that wanders in hungry in your house.

Sandra Hoover said...

Lol, Alex! No one will starve in my house. I'm a southern cook from waaaay back! One of my projects is a cookbook/tribute to my late mother - a real southern cook who raised us kids with a stern hand & generous heart. I learned to cook at a very young age while working by her side. Thanks for the encouragement!

Nancy Gideon said...

Woo Hoo, Sandra! Great realistic goal. Time is as important as talent and inspiration for a writer and they all work together toward a satisfying end. May 2018 be the year of a happy story ending and a new professional beginning!

Sandra Hoover said...

Thanks, Nancy! I'm now working on more specifics - something like you do. I have a couple of big projects and then the normal weekly blog posts, etc. I'm trying to look at deadline projections & then make a monthly plan...and going a step further with a weekly plan. We'll see. I just know I need to get a better handle on it. As always, thanks for your encouragement & for always being a shining example of how to do it right!