Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Hand Lettering Review


Title:  Hand Lettering
Authors:  Gabri Joy Kirkendall & Jacklyn Escalera
Publisher:  Thunder Bay Press
Release Date:  February 6, 2018

My Rating:  3.5 Artistic Hearts

*Many thanks to Thunder Bay Press & Netgally for a copy of this arc.


Synopsis:

Add your own creative flourishes to any handwritten note, sign, or piece of art by using the techniques in Hand Lettering. This kit includes a 64-page project book with suggestions and examples of how you can put a little flair into any written word. How-to sections provide useful information on font selection, must-have supplies, and practice techniques. Get your creative gears spinning, and you’ll soon master your own unique style of lettering!

Review:
I've always been fascinated by creative, embellished hand lettering, and will admit to being just a bit envious of those who do it well.  I certainly don't as my handwriting more closely resembles chicken scratch (no insult intended to the hens who do it much better than I).  When I saw Hand Lettering on Netgally, it was an easy decision to request it.  

Hand Lettering introduces ten different techniques for lettering embellishment and includes a brief history of each style.  I found the history interesting and was a little surprised how many different styles date back to medieval times.  The styles include but are not limited to art deco, cubism, southwestern, and coastal.  Each style includes illustrations  and a breakdown with "How-To" tutorials which I enjoyed.  This book includes information on needed supplies and font selection and concludes with information on other special techniques such as illumination, and floral, animal, and object embellishments.  Instructions are clear and concise and come with lots of encouragement to practice, practice, practice.  When Hand Lettering is released, it will include an art kit which will be nice, I think.  All in all, it's a good how-to for anyone wishing to add a little extra flair to their hand-written notes and letters.  

My Rating:  3.5 Artistic Hearts . . . And that's the truth!

Cross My Heart . . . xxx
Sandra





2 comments:

Misha Gerrick said...

Like you, I have terrible hand writing. Trying to be better at it, but old habits die hard. :-)

Sandra Hoover said...

Mine has never been good, but it's really deteriorated over the years! I think I've always written "too fast" - always in a rush & just scribble stuff down. I do envy those who have beautiful handwriting.