Monday, April 10, 2017

The Chosen Review


Title:  The Chosen
Series:  Black Dagger Brotherhood #15
Author:  J.R. Ward
Publisher:  Ballantine Books
Release Date:  April 4, 2017
Purchase Link:  Amazon

My Rating:  4 Electrifying 's







Synopsis:

Xcor, leader of the Band of Bastards, convicted of treason against the Blind King, is facing a brutal interrogation and torturous death at the hands of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Yet after a life marked by cruelty and evil deeds, he accepts his soldier’s fate, his sole regret the loss of a sacred female who was never his: the Chosen Layla.

Layla alone knows the truth that will save Xcor’s life. But revealing his sacrifice and his hidden heritage will expose them both and destroy everything Layla holds dear—even her role of mother to her precious young. Torn between love and loyalty, she must summon the courage to stand up against the only family she has for the only man she will ever love. Yet even if Xcor is somehow granted a reprieve, he and Layla would have to confront a graver challenge: bridging the chasm that divides their worlds without paving the way for a future of even greater war, desolation, and death.

As a dangerous old enemy returns to Caldwell, and the identity of a new deity is revealed, nothing is certain or safe in the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, not even true love . . . or destinies that have long seemed set in stone.

Review:
With each release in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, one thing can be certain. Fans will get passionate and protective over their favorite characters - and will either love or hate the direction Ward is taking them. The Chosen is a perfect example as readers get vocal expressing their opinion. One thing I know - any book/series that can evoke that kind of emotion is going to be one h*ll of a ride and on my "read right now" list. There was never any question in my mind as to whether or not I would read it . . . seriously? I'm a fan who waited on pins and needles for this release just as I'm now awaiting the next one! I avoided all reviews and comments until I finished it and highly recommend (if it's even possible now) that you do the same. There are no spoilers in my review.

Like every other book in the series,
The Chosen is rich in details and multiple plotlines. Unlike some readers, I love it! Talk about more bang for your buck. I have no problem following the storyline as it shifts between characters, scenes, and plots. While I freely admit that Layla is on the low end of my fav heroine scale, I was intrigued to see where The Warden would take her and Xcor and what kind of h*ll they'd walk through to get there. Talk about an explosion that rocked the BDB world - when the truth comes out about their relationship, the consequences and repercussions are earthshattering. The reaction of some characters cost them everything.

Relationship issues, shocking revelations, nonstop action - all are prevalent in
The Chosen. So many characters face life-altering decisions and situations. It seems some are at a crossroad in their life - a bend in the road. Which way will they go? You'll get a lot of answers by the end of the book, but not all. I'm okay with that...it's part of what keeps me reading on. I have to say that given past history and ill feelings, I was a little surprised at the things Ward tied up and delivered with a neat little hea bow near the end. Some of it didn't ring true for me because it was such an about face for these characters who both hate and love with a passion. It's the reason I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5. Having said that, The Chosen evoked all the same emotions in me as previous books. Intense, on the edge of my seat suspense, passion, heartbreak, and nail-biting worry over who might not survive. Another Page Burning Must Read by J.R. Ward! More Please!

My Rating:  4 Electrifying 's . . . And that's the truth!

Cross My Heart . . . xxx
Sandra

No comments: