Monday, September 29, 2014

IWSG: Seize Someday Today!

What is the Insecure Writers Support Group?

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!   Be sure to check out some of the other writers/bloggers at this link: Insecure Writer's Support Group


Seize Someday Today!

Today is October 1 - Wow!  Another month gone, and we're left with only three months in 2014. How in the world did that happen?  I swear someone, somewhere has cranked up the clock!  So where does that leave you with your writing plan?  Are you turning out the pages like you'd hoped?  Story humming and characters misbehaving just like you planned?  If so, good for you!  You're in control of your writing and forging your own future. It's a good feeling, isn't it?

Implementing a writing routine that works for you is imperative to finding success as a writer.  For those of you still struggling with your writing schedule, ask yourself some questions.  Are you procrastinating...sitting down to write only when the mood strikes you or when you've run out of anything else to do?  Does everything else come first, before your daily writing schedule?  Are there always reasons (or excuses) why you can't start that story today?  Are you, once again, promising yourself you will start writing tomorrow, next week, next month, or someday?!  Well guess what...there are seven days in a week and "someday" is not one of them!  Surprised?  I was.
Someday is Today!

Over the years, I exhausted every excuse in the book for not writing "today".  I was just too busy - work, kids, appointments, chores, but I always believed I'd do it "someday".  In most recent years, I've finally faced my demons and recognized, with regret, my excuses for what they were - excuses.  All successful writers, published authors, even famous authors, are BUSY...time is of an essence to everyone.  They face the same daily living hurdles that we all do.  The only difference is - they have made writing a priority, a daily routine.  They have taken control of their writing life & future.  I finally came to understand and embrace the fact that to accomplish my dream/goal of writing & publishing my story, I had to fully commit to writing.  I needed to establish a daily writing routine, and make it my priority - someday had to become today - every single day.  I'm happy to say, after finally banishing my excuses, I've established the writing ritual that works for me and am now more productive than ever. Other than the occasional extreme situation, I hold my writing time sacred and refuse to make apologies for it or be pressured by feelings of guilt, from others or myself. Recognize standard excuses for what they are - excuses - and move beyond them! Own your writing time and space.  You'll become a happier, more productive writer.

**Finding the time and a good place to write seems to be one of the biggest hurdles for new writers.  However, it is an imperative first-step to establishing a regular writing routine & starting on the path to becoming a successful writer.  Find a time and space for writing that works for you, and own it by letting family and friends know this is your time and space every single day.  Seize someday today!

                                                     

4 comments:

Suzanne Furness said...

It sounds like you have found a positive attitude to your writing. To finish something we have to start, to reach our goal we have to keep trying and making it happen. Good luck with your writing :)

Pleased to visit today as co-host of IWSG

Unknown said...

Nice post! That is some advice I definitely need to heed. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sandra Hoover said...

Hope it helps, Neena. It's so easy to let other things take priority over writing with the thoughts of doing it "tomorrow" or "someday" or when you find the "perfect" time. Make today that day!

Sandra Hoover said...

I've found that attitude is everything, Suzanne. I think the answer to the question, "How bad do I want it?" helped me finally realize that it's all up to me. Thanks for stopping by.