Friday, September 19, 2014

Hunter of Shadows Book Review


Mass Market Paperback, 383 pages
Published November 29th 2011 by Pocket



Series:  By Moonlight, #5



Starring: Silas MacCreedy & Monica (Nica) Fraser

Also featuring:  Max Savoie & Charlotte (Cee Cee Caissie)
 






Synopsis:

The secrets he knows about her could get him killed.
Transferring to the New Orleans Police Department, Detective Silas MacCreedy has a hidden agenda: to secure his clan’s place once again in the Shifter hierarchy. What he didn’t count on was stumbling upon a sexy assassin who could shred his best intentions and lead him into a dangerous dance that threatens to engage his heart.

But the ones he doesn’t know . . .

Monica Fraser knows just how to make a man beg—for his life. But she has no clue how to fight her attraction to the fiercely intense detective who seems determined to get in her way, both professionally and intimately.

. . . could kill them both.

When emotional attachments to the past and an unexpected glimpse of a different future have her questioning her deadly purpose, Nica must discover the truth about her secret abilities in order to free herself from the forces that control her. But that freedom comes with a price—trusting those she’s been ordered to eliminate.


My Review:  

I'll begin by admitting that I was sulking when I started reading Hunter of Shadows.  Why? Because my beloved Max Savoie is not in a starring role...nor is Detective Charlotte Caissie. What is the author thinking?!  Why is Silas MacCreedy & Monica Fraser in the spotlight?  I know who they are but why should I be interested in their story?  Being the devoted fan of the By Moonlight series that I am, I sighed & turned to page one to find out.  And late that same night, I finished it...yes, in one sitting.  Seems the author knew what she was doing! Ha!  Imagine that! :)

Silas MacCreedy is a newly transferred detective in the New Orleans Police Department - a shifter with special talents, intent on carrying out a special mission.  Who is his target?  Monica (Nica) Fraser is a mercenary shifter with deadly abilities and intentions - for hire by the highest bidder.  Who is this deadly assassin sent down on a mission from the North?  Who is she in New Orleans to kill?  Silas & Nica soon begin a seductive dance around each other, professionally & personally - a dance that may prove deadly to both of them.  What do you do when you fall in love with the person trying to kill you?  Could you destroy them to protect yourself & your loved ones?  While the heat sizzles & sparks between them, Max & Cee Cee join the party.  (Yes, I did jumping jacks & shouted hallelujah while offering thanks to Jesus & Nancy Gideon!)

The story that ensues is one of great depth, pages filled with intrigue, danger, suspense and a magnetic chemistry between characters that I've come to not only expect from Nancy Gideon, but look forward to.  While Max & Cee Cee's story is not exactly front and center in Hunter of Shadows, fans of the series will not be disappointed as their involvement in this book is still an intricate part of the storyline, with some important secrets and developments being revealed.  The addition of the very sexy Silas MacCreedy & Nica Fraser has added another interesting element to this series, as their story unfolds & intertwines with the lives of Max & Cee Cee, as well as the other characters we've come to love.  Yes, Nancy, you got it right!

Hunter of Shadows is a Must Read for fans of the By Moonlight series, paranormal romance, & romance/suspense.  The chemistry between Silas & Nica, as well as Max & Cee Cee, sets the pages on fire while the intriguing suspense will keep you turning pages well into the night!  A Page Burner!  

Rating: 5 Gorgeous ♥♥♥♥♥'s...And that's the truth!

Cross My Heart...xxx

Sandra

*Note:  I read & rated this book when it was first released but have just finished a reread and added my review.

Fav Quotes

"It's not nice to hit a lady," she chastised with short jabs to his midsection.
MacCreedy twisted, trying to throw her off, growling, "If I thought you were a lady, I wouldn't have done it."
♥♥♥♥♥♥

"I'm not sure of what you are, but innocent isn't part of it."
♥♥♥♥♥♥

"What's your name?"
He grinned.  "Hero."
♥♥♥♥♥♥

"Do you still want me to go?"
"No."  Her hand reached for the zipper of his tux pants.  "I want you to come."
♥♥♥♥♥♥

"What'd she do?  Run over you with a rototiller?"
"She let her big, very nasty dog off its chain."
♥♥♥♥♥♥

"Don't you ever think to blackmail me, or I'll make gravy from your cowardly marrow and eat you for lunch with a side of red beans and rice."

Next book in By Moonlight series #6


2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great review! I've read this book and I have to say that you've totally nailed the vibe and feel of this book. Like you, I was looking for more Max, but wasn't one bit disappointed by Silas. He is a hero worth reading about.

Sandra Hoover said...

Thanks, Neena! I read the book in 2011 upon first release but was often slack on writing reviews back then. Just trying to rectify that with some of my favorites. As I said, I sulked when I realized the story line was turning more toward other characters' stories, but this book is all action from cover to cover!