Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Daily To-Do List...




It's time for another IWSG post...where did July go?  Last month, I talked about taking a little time to review your New Year's Resolutions and either adjust your goals or renew your plan to meet them.  This month, I'm looking at my "to-do" list...not the one filled with reminders of daily chores, but the one I keep posted on the bulletin board by my desk to remind me of the things that are really important -  the things that will help me get where I want and need to be in both my personal & professional life.


 To Do Daily:
  • Count my blessings - I am alive, healthy, loved, and able to pursue my dream of writing.  Who could ask for anything more?  There is so much to be thankful for.  I strive to count my blessings every day.

  • Practice kindness - Such an easy thing to do that means so much & yet an easy thing to forget on a daily basis.  A smile, a kind word, a thank you can go a long way  toward making someone's day better.  And it comes back to you ten-fold.  Think about the impression you leave with others...it's important.

  • Let go of what I can't control - Oh man!  Now this one is a daily struggle for me.  I'm a girl who likes things in order & one who feels the need to "fix things" even when they are beyond my control.  Sound familiar?  Sometimes you just have to know when to let go...of things & people.  Negativity is a downer...it drains your creativity & messes with your head.  There will always be non-believers who tell you that you can't do it - be it writing & publishing your book or whatever you dream of doing.  You can't change their minds so don't let them mess with yours.  I have to pray daily for the wisdom to know when to let things go that I can't control and move on - to remember what's important and productive for me.  Learn from the negatives and if it doesn't work out, you can always "take another shot".

  • Listen to my heart - There are times that I find my head telling me one thing and my heart telling me another.  It's not always easy to figure out which one to follow.  My heart tells me I'm a writer - pursue it, write it, put it out there - at the same time,  negative thoughts creep into my head and say - you aren't good enough, you'll never finish your book, you'll never publish, no one cares, you're wasting your time.  I need this daily visual reminder that I should listen to my heart and pursue my dreams.  I am a writer. 

  • Be productive yet calm - I am a doer.  I expect to accomplish a long list of tasks every day.  When life interferes, as it often does, I have been known to freak out.  Yes, it's true - I can lose my cool.  Does it change anything?  No.  That's the bottom line... stressing out just makes me fall further behind thus generating more stress.  In writing, I get discouraged & freak out when it's not working, when the muse doesn't show up, when my plot isn't developing. When I'm calm, cool, & collected, I'm more productive and things eventually fall into place.  Patience is such a virtue - I pray for more of it everyday.  Calmness + Patience = Productivity

  • Just breathe - When life gets to be too much, just breathe.  The same thing applies to writing.  When my story is going nowhere, I have to stop and take a deep breath.  Step away, clear my head, and assess the situation.  Why has my writing stalled?  What isn't working?  What am I missing?  What do I need to change?  Often, all I need to do is take a break, clear my head, & breathe for it to start working again.

Do you have a daily "to-do" list that offers you inspiration?  I think we can all benefit from a daily reminder that life is good, we are important, and we can achieve our dreams & goals.  We are in control.  Don't stress the small stuff.  Don't worry about things you can't control.  Let it all go & breathe.  Remember:  You have the power to say how your story will end - both in your book and your life!


 What is the Insecure Writers Support Group?

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!   Be sure to check out some of the other writers/bloggers at the Insecure Writer's Support Group















No comments: