Friday, February 28, 2014

Carter Reed Book Review



Synopsis:

Emma decided to skip the gym and went home early. It was the last easy decision she made because she found her roommate being raped by the boyfriend. She had two choices. Call the cops and be killed by his family’s mafia connections or kill him first and hope to survive. There was no choice to her. She killed the bastard first and went to the one person who could protect her. Carter Reed. He’s a weapon for the rivaling mafia family, but he’s also Emma’s secret. Not only was he best friends with her brother, but she’s the reason he became that weapon in the first place.

My Review:
Carter Reed is lethal - both the book and the man.  He is a gorgeous, badass, cold, dangerous killer.  He is also protective, possessive, tender & sweet with the best heart & soul I've seen in a hero in a long time.  He is loyal to friends and those he loves and protects them with his life.  I loved Carter Reed and will remember him and this book a long time.  Carter had an abusive childhood, often taking refuge at Emma & her brother's house.  Emma's brother has died but Carter has not forgotten Emma and has been "watching" her most of her life.  Once she asks him for help, Carter goes about making sure she will be safe.  Somewhere along the way, he realizes that he needs her as much as she needs him.

Emma is in trouble.  As the book opens, she walks in on the brutal rape of her friend & roommate by a Mafia goldenboy.  She does what any true, loyal friend would do - she shoots him dead.  I know some people found Emma to be a little whiny but I didn't.  I saw her as strong, loyal, caring, & protective of those she cared for.  She was a little naive but I don't see that as a flaw.  I liked that Emma had a backbone and stood up for herself and her friends.  I also loved that while she made some questionable decisions, she did them in protection of those she cared about - including putting herself in danger in a misguided attempt to protect Carter a couple of times.  

Emma realizes the Mafia will kill her & her friends if they find out what she did, so she goes to the only person with the power to help her - Carter Reed.  He agrees to help her only if she stays with him...and so a precarious relationship begins.  Carter is both hot & cold and can turn it on or off in the bat of an eye.  It both fascinates & confuses Emma.  She is never sure of his feelings for her but she realizes that she is falling for him.  Unbeknownst to her, Carter needs her as much as he needs air to breathe.  They have a long, dangerous road ahead of them.

Carter Reed had some good secondary characters.  Noah is a friend of Carter's, and I'd love to read his story.  Amanda's story would also be great.  This book has some surprises and twists & turns in it.  I found my heart racing as I read it.  The romance & sex was well written and not over the top.  I loved it.  A Must Read!

Rating:  4 Beautiful ♥♥♥♥'s...And that's the truth!

Cross My Heart...xxx

Sandra  




3 comments:

Kumiko Lei said...

I've been putting this off for a bit and not really sure why. I'm thinking, once my "required" reading is done, this is next.

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) said...

Nice review! I'm hooked.

Unknown said...

I very much enjoyed reading Carter Reed. It is well worth reading! Great review!