Wednesday, August 5, 2015

IWSG: Writer's Resources ~ How Wealthy Are You?

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a community of writers whose purpose is to share with and encourage other writers. Writers can express doubts and concerns and offer & receive encouragement and guidance.  IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month.  Be sure to check out other IWSG writers/bloggers here:  IWSG Members

Writer's Resources~As Good As Gold . . .

As a writer, I am continuously seeking opportunities to learn from the best.  I've read & studied dozens of how-to books & magazine articles, taken classes, and reached out to other writers in an effort to take advantage of every opportunity to learn.  I participate in writing groups, enter writing contests, and continue to write and submit book & magazine articles, as I advance and perfect my craft. In other words, I've utilized many different Resources as a writer and have discovered a few gems along the way.

Resource - n. source of help; an expedient; the ability to cope with a situation; a means of diversion; (pl) wealth; assets; raw materials.

I love that definition . . .Resource - a source of help; wealth; assets - Doesn't that say it all?  Resources are invaluable to a writer - as good as gold.  There are literally thousands of great resources for both new and experienced writers.  I'll share a book or two from which I reaped a wealth of writing knowledge.

  • Story Engineering - Mastering The 6 Core Competencies of Successful Writing by Larry Brooks - My copy of this book is highlighted, written in, & tagged with notes throughout.  It covers the core functions in engineering and designing your story and then takes it to the next level by teaching techniques to breathe life into it.  Rich with examples, Story Engineering portrays story structure in a concise, step by step method that I found to be interesting, helpful, & easy to implement.  I refer to it again & again.
  • GMC - Goal, Motivation & Conflict - The Building Blocks of Good Fiction by Debra Dixon - I  recently discovered this book after reading an article by another author recommending it (Many thanks, Nancy).  Oh my goodness!  What a gem! Using movies as examples, Dixon gets down to the nuts & bolts of a great story - the 3 things every story must have: Goal, Motivation, Conflict.  GMC is simple, clear, & easy to understand with charts & examples for putting the information into practice.  The light came on for me while reading this book.  I consider myself a much richer writer for having discovered it.
  • Stephen King On Writing - A Memoir of the Craft - I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the cover of this book.  All I can say is I found a wealth of information delivered in an entertaining manner from one of the best in the business. King delivers a lifetime of experience with pages filled with tips, hints, & life lessons. It's humorous, it's serious, it's emotional.  I love this book & often find myself referring back to it.
This is by no means a complete list as I only mentioned three of my favorites.  My book shelves are filled with wonderful resources for writers.  There is a wealth of information available to writers  in books, magazines,  and online.  I'd be amiss if I didn't mention that one of the best resources is other writers.  Reach out to the writer community . . .I think you'll find them ready, willing, & able to assist you.  I know I have.

How about you?  Are you rich in writing resources?  Are there some real gems sitting on your desk that you're willing to share with us?  What do you consider your most valuable writing resource?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My most valuable writing resources are my friends. I'm blessed to have friends who "get" what I'm trying to do and understand that telling me what they think I want to hear doesn't help me. I've been able to get a lot of helpful feedback from a diverse group of readers.

-James

Sandra Hoover said...

You are indeed blessed, James. Great resource.

Doreen McGettigan said...

I have read Stephen Kings book on writing three times and refer to it often. Most of my resources come from other writers, instructors and from my writing groups. This group is full of some of the best resources...

Sandra Hoover said...

Love SK's On Writing! Great read! And I agree...the IWSG members are awesome.

Sandra Hoover said...

Love SK's On Writing! Great read! And I agree...the IWSG members are awesome.

Sandra Hoover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandy said...

Thanks for sharing this list of books. I'm actually looking for a good book on writing and maybe one of these will work for me! :)

Sandra Hoover said...

I hope so, Mandy. I found each of these to be extremely helpful.