Sunday, June 14, 2020

Guest Review of Circe by Madeline Miller

Join me in welcoming Eliza from An Authors Choice as this month's guest reviewer! Liza is an aspiring author who also loves to read and review books! Her review of Circe by Madeline Miller is sure to have you reaching for this book. Be sure to check out Liza's website & Instagram pages for more of her great reviews. You'll find her chatting books at: https://www.anauthorschoice.com/ https://www.instagram.com/anauthorschoice/
Genre: Historical Fiction, Fantasy Fiction, Geek Mythology
Liza's Review:
At the start, probably for the first two chapters, I didn’t really ‘get’ the book but I was still drawn to it and intrigued. (Looking back now though, this could be down to the fact that I was travelling during the first part of the coronavirus outbreak and I was too worried to concentrate properly.) A lot of people were raving about this book but I wasn’t sure I would end up being one of them. Then the theme then became clear, I got to know the main character and I got into it a lot more. From there, I didn’t really put it down!

The book is quite fast paced, usually I am a slow reader and like to take my time but with Circe I felt everything was ticking along nicely. So all was going well and getting more interesting as it went on. Then it hit probably between one third and half of the book (I was going to say the chapter but thought that was too far) and boom. Everything takes a turn around and two words: girl power. I tell you what, Madeline Miller writes in such a way that you feel like you were actually there which will bring you so many feelings, from anxiety and disgust to power and freedom.

If you weren’t a feminist before this book then you sure as hell will be after. I already was a feminist but instead of equality, at the half way point I was feeling a bit like women should be ruling the World? (This is a joke, nobody take offence.) I need a few days to get over all the excitement… What an incredible way to bring up issues that still affect us in the modern day through putting twists on myths from an ancient world.

Circe is daughter of Helios, God of the Sun, she’s a misfit amongst the Gods. Sooner or later this drives her to her destiny. She is banished to her Island, Aiaia, where through practice and will she learns her witchcraft. It’s the visitors she receives that shape her future though. Genuinely, throughout the chapters you will have no idea what is going to happen or how it will end. I was surprised at every twist and turn. Miller has an excellent imagination and I’m so happy I picked up Circe.
This book is filled with so many stories all merged into one and it ends beautifully. You’ll love Circe more and more with every turned page. A novel that should be on every females list to read, if not for the incredible telling then for the way it opens your eyes to how the world is and what’s important. It will teach young girls to love themselves and believe in their own power.

I will for sure be reading this one again at some point in the future. There are stories of hundreds of lifetimes worth and with a little time I’m sure I won’t remember them all and will be able to approach this book fresh again.

No comments: