Wednesday, May 6, 2020

IWSG: In The Zone!

A database resource site and support group for writers and authors. Featuring weekly guests and tips, a monthly blogfest gathering, a Facebook group, a book club, and thousands of links – all to benefit writers! #IWSG
Make sure to stop by to visit each of our awesome co-hosts as well as all of our other awesome members!  A big thank you to:  Feather Stone,  Beverly Stowe McClure,  Mary Aalgaard,  Kim Lajevardi, and Chemist Ken!

May IWSG Question:  Do you have any rituals that you use when you need help getting into the ZONE? Care to share? 

So, here's the deal.  I had a post almost finished, including videos, until a few minutes ago  when everything suddenly went blank.  Nothing left on-screen but a blank white page!  I've tried everything to recover it, but it's time to face the music . . . it's gone.  I don't have it left in me to recreate it all tonight so here's the short version:

What puts me in the writing zone?  In a word or two . . . mood music.  I'm a huge fan of several genres of music and have always found that listening to the right songs can help put me in the head space I need to be in for writing a particular scene.  I put in my earbuds and tune in Christina Aguilera (or anyone's version) singing "Say Something" to get in that desperate, dark, lonely place and write those type scenes.  Love gone bad?  Vince Gill's "Nobody Answers When I Call Your Name" does it for me everytime.  I'll go old school and say anything by Maurice Gibb & The Bee Gees gives me a melancholy vibe.  I could go on and on and on, but the bottom line is my go-to choice of rituals for setting the mood for a scene is music.  Sometimes, I listen to a song for hours or days over and over until it fills my senses.  Only then am I ready to write the scene.

So sorry my attempt to post videos for you went awry.  Maybe next time!

How about you?  What helps put you in your writing zone?

3 comments:

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Computers can be irritating. Music is good. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra Hoover said...

Thanks, Beverly. Yesterday was one of those days! By late last night, I was running on empty and when I lost my IWSG post, I almost cried. But, in the big realm of things, it's just a minor setback. Thanks for stopping by!

Nancy Gideon said...

Oh, I so agree with you. I always playlist my WIPs and bathe in a particular type of music that resonates with my characters or genre. It's that extra layer of intimacy that only a great song can capture that gets to the heart of the written word. Sigh . . . Off to update my playlist!