Wednesday, April 1, 2020

IWSG: Together We Can...

A database resource site and support group for writers and authors. Featuring weekly guests and tips, a monthly blogfest gathering, a Facebook group, a book club, and thousands of links – all to benefit writers! #IWSG
Make sure to stop by to visit each of February's co-hosts as well as all of our other awesome members!  A big thank you to:   Diane Burton,  JH Moncrieff,  Anna @ Emaginette,  Karen @ Reprobate Typewriter,  Erika Beebe, and Lisa Buie-Collard!

April 1 question - The IWSG’s focus is on our writers. Each month, from all over the globe, we are a united group sharing our insecurities, our troubles, and our pain. So, in this time when our world is in crisis with the covid-19 pandemic, our optional question this month is: how are things in your world?
How are things in my world?  Crazy.  Insane.  Scary.  Out of sync.  Stressful.  I want the world to stop and allow me to get off for a little while.  And yet, in some ways life is a little simpler.  Slower.  A bit more personal.  A little lower key.  In North Carolina, we're under a Governor issued Shelter-in-Place order.  Only essential businesses are operating and people are only allowed trips out for food, medicine, or doctor care.  Children are not in school.  Churches are not holding services.  Restaurants only serve customers through drive-thrus.  Grocery store shelves are empty.  We can't go to the gym, hair or nail salon, or shopping for clothes.  These aren't considered necessities.  Now I beg to differ - especially when it comes to hair salons . . . getting my hair done is a necessity otherwise it won't be long before people run screaming the other way when they see me.  Not even my husband knows my real hair color.  lol

On the up side, there's more family time - dinners at the kitchen table, parents/grandparents spending quality time with children, watching movies/tv shows, playing games, working puzzles, and in our case - long walks together.  I wish I could say I'm taking advantage of more writing and/or reading time, but the whole surreal situation is rendering me unable to focus on anything.  My attention span is zilch as I find myself constantly running through a list of "what if's".  What if my husband contacts the virus?  With his health issues, the results would surely be devastating.  What if my son living in another state gets sick?  I'm not allowed to go care for him.  What if we run out of food?  Ok, so I'll admit that's not an issue as I have enough food preserved to last a long, long time. haha

Seriously, I worry about the thousands of people who are sick and/or dealing with the loss of loved ones.  I worry and pray for the people forced to die without loved ones surrounding them.  It breaks my heart.  I hope when it's all said and done, people will be able to take something positive from this horrific experience as they move forward.  I'd like to think one of those things will be the realization that the people of our world are stronger
working together - all countries and nationalities.  Together, we can win this battle.  I hope and pray that lessons learned during this bleak time will not be forgotten in the future.

Please take care of yourselves and your families during this dark time.  Together, we'll get through it one way or the other.  And please - share with this wonderful group how you and yours are coping with everything.  How are you spending your time?  I hope it's writing.

3 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

LOL about the hair. I was asked to do a video workshop and all I could think was everyone was going to see my real roots!! As a retiree, the isolation is just another Wednesday. I limit the news (and the source of it!) to keep informed and positive in this horribly negative situation. And I read! I'm editing my WIP so it's great timing since I'm not sure I could focus on a new project (especially with grandguy whose been sheltering in place with us for 3 wks practices the drums and xylophone.) It's a time to be appreciate the simple things like family conversation, sitting outside or taking walks, snuggling pets and binge-watching on Amazon and Netflix). We'll get through it together - at the appropriate distance! Stay safe, Sandra!!

Sandra Hoover said...

I agree, Nancy. I hope families embrace this downtime by doing family things. I am used to the isolation also being retired, and I love it just not in this situation. Fortunately for me - it's gardening time in the South so I have a LOT to keep me busy! I am particularly thankful to live way out in the country with plenty of isolated woods & fields to walk in right now. I only run into squirrels, raccoons, deer, etc. lol

Helen said...

I get the being unable to focus in some ways. And worrying about family. I also wonder if the 'lessons' will last after this is gone...probably not, sigh. I've also lost sense of what day of the week and month it is, lol. Stay safe.