Wednesday, April 3, 2019

IWSG: If Pennies Were Wishes . . .

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group is a website media business with affiliates to enhance our service to visitors. We are a home for writers in all stages; from unpublished to bestsellers. Our goal is to offer assistance and guidance. We want to help writers overcome their insecurities, and by offering encouragement we are creating a community of support. Visit IWSG to learn more about this great writing community!
  

IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month. It's a great writer's resource that I'm sure you'll find well worth your time. Be sure to stop by and visit with other IWSG Members.  
Many thanks to this month's co-hosts: J.H. Moncrieff,  Natalie Aguirre,  Patsy Collins, and Chemist Ken!  Make sure to stop by to visit each of them and thank them personally!

IWSG Day Question: If you could use a wish to help you write just one scene/chapter of your book, which one would it be?

Oh my!  If pennies were wishes, right? 
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way and all the wishing in the world isn't going to get your scene, chapter, or book written for you. We all know that takes time, dedication and a lot of hard work, don't we?

But IF wishes were magical and always came true then I'd probably wish for help with my opening scene/chapter as it's where I most often struggle with self-doubt as I have a tendency to second-guess myself.  I'm always paranoid that my opening scene isn't compelling enough to snag readers attention and draw them in.  I often struggle with the decision of whether to write a Prologue or jump right into the current mayhem in my characters lives.  As a reader, I know how important those first few pages are because heaven knows they've either hooked me or caused me to put a book back on the shelf more than once.  So yes - when I rub my magical penny and toss it in the wishing well, chances are good I'll be asking for help and guidance writing my opening scene.  

How about you?  Which scene or chapter in your book would you wish for help in writing?

3 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

I agree, Sandra! Those first pages are your only chance to grab new readers and set the tone for what they can expect to find in the rest of your book. I can't start a new project until that first scene is golden. Here's to great beginnings!!

Sandra Hoover said...

You write such compelling opening scenes, Nancy! Your books always draw me right in. I will continue striving in an effort to even come close.

J.H. Moncrieff said...

With me, it's the opposite--it's the endings I struggle with. However, I often don't know I've struggled with them until an editor tells me they need work.

Editors are worth their weight in gold.