Wednesday, July 4, 2018

IWSG: Ultimate Writing Goals

IWSG Question of the Month:  What are your ultimate writing goals, and how have they changed over time (if at all)?

Goals.  Everyone has at least one, probably more, right?  Some are constant while others change over time.  Either way, in order to realize any goal, you need a plan of action and the perseverance to stay the course . . . sometimes easier said than done.  It's something I continuously strive to do.

When it comes to writing goals, my first thought is to say my ultimate goal is getting my book/s into the hands of readers (who will rave about them, of course! haha).  I'll venture a guess that's a high priority for most writers as it is for me.  It's one of the reasons we forego so many other activities in favor of writing.

Time management is another ongoing goal that ranks high on my list as I work to maneuver over, around, or through the obstacle course called  "real life" and maintain a disruption-free, regular writing schedule.  Honestly, until I started trying to keep a regular writing schedule, I didn't realize how many interruptions could occur in a 30 minute period of time.  So, a regular, uninterrupted writing routine always rates high on my list of goals.

But, I think my ultimate goal is to always feel a deep sense of satisfaction and pride in every aspect of my writing from start to finish - to feel certain when readers open one of my books and start reading, they're getting the best of me, each and every time.  My goal is to punch every reader's ticket to ride on an emotional rollercoaster all the way from Page 1 to The End.  I want to write the book that catapults them on a convoluted journey they won't escape before reaching the end - the same journey I've experienced from some of my favorite authors.  That's my ultimate goal.

How about you?  What are your writing goals and how have they changed?

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a community of writers who share ideas and encourage each other. It's a great place to express doubts and concerns as well as offer and receive tribulations and guidance from other writers. IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month. I know you'll find it to be a great writer's resource that's well worth your time. Be sure to stop by and visit with some of the other IWSG writers/bloggers at IWSG Members.

Please join me in thanking the awesome July co-hosts:
Nicki Elson,  Juneta Key,  Tamara Narayan, and Patricia Lynne!





6 comments:

Crystal Collier said...

Emotional rollercoasters are good. =) I'm with you on getting books into the hands of readers who will love and rave about them. If only that didn't require marketing...

Sandra Hoover said...

I agree. Writers have to wear too many "hats". And all of them are time-consuming!

Chrys Fey said...

A deep sense of satisfaction is a great thing to strive for and keep during the entire course of the writing journey. I had lost it last year due to my depression, but I am getting it back. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Punch those tickets!
Like the reality of goals image.
Sorry so late. Looking forward to having you help next month with co-hosting.

Anonymous said...

This sounds so familiar. How many of us creative/writer types have depression? Still it is always good to hear someone post about her struggles. It encourages me to keep on pushing. I'm sure you are "getting it back". This writing bug never really goes away. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

My goals have changed a lot over the years. I started out as a dreaming teenager who just wrote whatever I felt and wondered later why my work never went anywhere. Now I focus on creating a vivid image, emotion, character development, something tangible. But I am too critical of things I read and consequently of my own writing. I'm trying to get back to the satisfaction of writing when I was young, but still keeping the focus on what the reader is experiencing from it.A combination of writing for myself and writing for my reader.