Beating Deadlines...Before they beat you!
deadline - n. the time by which something must be done.
How hard can it be? You have a deadline, you write, you meet said deadline. So why do I repeatedly struggle with meeting deadlines?! I'm an organized person - some might say excessively so. I have my notes, lists, & a big red X marking important dates on my calendar. I budget my time, strive to keep a schedule, and yet time and time again, I find my back up against the wall facing a deadline with an unfinished project. Does this ever happen to you? How do you manage your deadlines?
Being the List Girl I am, I've worked on a few strategies to help me meet my deadlines and goals. This is a work-in-progress list...trial & error, seeing what works for me and what doesn't.
- Set my own deadline a week ahead (yes, I'm dreaming big) of the real deadline.
- Plan a writing schedule complete with number of words or chapters needed per day or week to meet my goal & mark it on my calendar
- Set a writing schedule taking my end goal into consideration
- Track my writing progress - put it in writing
- Remove distractions during scheduled writing time
What strategies do you use to avoid facing the stressful reality of a looming deadline with an unfinished project? Any tips for those of us struggling with bringing projects in on time?